There is no one way to quit smoking that is ideal for every smoker, which is why there are many quit smoking products and aids available. Pick a method that is right for you.
Some methods include:
- Cold turkey
- Nicotine patch or gum
- Herbal products
- Behaviour modification.
The first two abovementioned ways have the lowest success rate and are not recommended. There are some herbal and hypnosis quit smoking products that claim a success rate of 90 per cent or more but the most successful ways to quit smoking are behaviour modification and pre-planning.
Behaviour modification includes:
- Identifying the triggers that cause you to light a cigarette
- Finding alternative methods of dealing with these triggers
- Avoiding people, places and activities that you associate with smoking
- Create new habits and routines, which are not associated with your prior smoking lifestyle.
- These changes will make dealing with withdrawal symptoms easier as they provide the confidence of knowing that you have a formal plan to quit and break the mental connection between smoking and your daily activities.
- Making a list of all the reasons why you want to quit smoking
- Reading this list twice daily before and after your ‘quitting date’
- Setting a ‘quitting date’ at least two weeks ahead
- Telling people about your ‘quit smoking’ plan
- Identifying the behaviour modification techniques that you will use
- Quitting smoking in your house and car before your ‘quitting date’. This will break the mental connection between these places and smoking. It will also help remove the smell of smoke from these areas
- Finding new ways to occupy your mind such as reading, taking a class or doing crossword puzzles
- create a special reward for yourself to celebrate your success
- Learning all about the health risks of smoking and the benefits of quitting.
Calculate what smoking costs you and plan a reward for yourself with the money you save from not smoking.
If you need support, there are many organisations that are willing to share ways and tips to help you succeed. Make the decision to quit smoking and do whatever it takes. It will be one of the biggest accomplishments of your life.